Going to see one of the famous musicals in London is undoubtedly an unforgettable experience that you should consider during your visit to the British capital, since London’s West End is full of fantastic theaters that entertain thousands of people every night with the best musicals. London (or even the world), and it’s no wonder how to buy cheap musical tickets in London is one of the most frequently asked questions from our readers.
Many of these musicals in London have been entertaining the London public for years, as they are highly successful and have been running for several years, such as the famous musicals The Lion King or Les Miserables .
What will you find in this article?
- Where to buy cheap tickets for musicals in London
- At the theater box office
- Theater Ticket Stores
- Buy tickets on online web portals in advance
- Personal recommendation to buy cheap tickets for musicals in London
- Step-by-Step Guide to Buying Cheap Musical Tickets in London
- Go to the theater in London without buying tickets in advance
Where to buy cheap musical tickets in London
To buy cheap tickets for musicals in London there are several options, but if you really come with the intention of seeing a specific musical or play, you should consider buying tickets in advance, especially if you intend to see one of the best musicals in London to make sure you don’t run out of seats as tickets sell out fast.
There are basically three ways to buy tickets for musicals in London:
At the theater box office
Buying tickets for musicals in London at the theater box office is really the most expensive way to buy tickets, but you just have to go to the theater box office and ask for them. Many people think that buying tickets at the theater itself is the cheapest way since there are no intermediaries, but the truth is that prices at the box office are always high since there are usually no offers. If you go a few days in advance to buy tickets for one of the most famous musicals in London, there will probably be no tickets left, so we really recommend that you go several months in advance if you want to buy tickets this way.
Theater ticket stores
in the square of Leicester Square In and around London, there are numerous venues and kiosks specializing in the sale of theater tickets. These places usually have giant signs saying they have great discounts, and you can walk around and ask several of them to compare prices for the date and time you want before deciding. If you’re lucky, they might have last minute tickets, but this is often tricky for London’s most famous musicals. We have tried several times, since they always say that you can get tickets last minute, and when we have been walking around the center of London we have tried to see if we were lucky, but the truth is that we have never gotten tickets this way, nor even during the week and asking to buy them at the last minute, or for a few days or even later. They usually offer us tickets for lesser-known musicals or plays and most of the time there are only tickets with reduced visibility left… And when we have asked about some of the most famous musicals in London looking for tickets for a month or so we have found that the prices they usually offer are usually higher than the prices we find online on the ticket websites we usually use. So personally, I don’t recommend it because we have never been able to buy cheaper tickets like that.
Buy tickets on online web portals in advance
I have to say that buying tickets for musicals in London online is undoubtedly the cheapest way to do it, and that is why I recommend doing it without a doubt. We always buy tickets online, and one of the advantages is that you can compare several musicals for the date you are interested in. You can also choose your seats (which seems very important to me!) and pay by card, so if you come to London to visit you don’t have to worry about bringing pounds to buy tickets here without even knowing if you’re going to be able to get tickets.
As you can imagine, there are several websites that sell theater tickets for musicals in London, but the website that we recommend is the main provider of tickets in the United Kingdom, and that is why we have been collaborating with them since 2010 without any problem. This provider distributes the tickets to other web portals, so knowing this, it is not surprising that their prices are cheaper than on other websites.
Personal recommendation to buy cheap tickets for musicals in London
Since we live in London we have been to the theater several times as it is something we love. We have seen the following musicals: The Lion King, Memphis, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Commitments, Wicked, The Phantom of the Opera, The Woman in Black, Billy Elliot, Kinky Boots and War Horse. So if you need advice about any of these musicals in London, don’t hesitate to ask!
Whenever we go to see a musical, still living in London, we buy tickets online in advance, as it is without a doubt the best way to get cheap tickets for musicals in London, since at first I tried to go to the kiosks in Leicester Square but I found that there were no tickets left, or you couldn’t choose the site and in the end I’ve always done it online.
Step-by-step guide to buying cheap musical tickets in London
Here we explain step by step how to buy tickets for musicals in London online:
- Enter the ticket website for musicals in London QverLondres LTD
- Once you have chosen the musical you would like to see, click on the red “BOOK TICKETS” button that is located on the right side of the screen.
- Then you will get a calendar, where you can choose the month and day. You will be able to see what sessions are available for each day, with the minimum price available per ticket. As you will see, there are usually two passes available each day: one around 2:30 pm and another at 7:30 pm (but this can vary depending on the musical, the theater and the dates).
- Below you can see an interactive seating plan. Here you can see what seats are available and with a color guide according to the price. In our article how to choose seats for musicals in London we explain the seating plan and our recommendations for the main musicals in London.
- Choose the seats that you like the most. Your selection will be added to the right of the screen, and below the chosen seats you will see the total amount as well as a button that says: “ Add to basket ”.
- By clicking on the add to basket button below, you must enter your personal data. First name: First name, Last name: Surnames, email address and telephone number.
- Further down, in the same form you must choose DELIVERY SELECTION : Sending or collecting tickets.
- “Box Office Collection” : When selecting this option, you simply have to print the proof of purchase that will be sent to you by email when making the purchase, and take it to the theater box office normally 30 – 60 minutes before the show starts and exchange this proof of purchase. shop for tickets right there. This is the easiest way to buy tickets for musicals in London in my opinion, and we even living in London always do it this way. When you arrive at the box office you have to go to the Pre-paid tickets area. This option is free.
- “Delivery or International Delivery” : If you have bought tickets for more than 10 days, you can choose this option and the tickets will be sent to your home. You will have to pay the shipping costs.
- “Print at home” : Print your tickets at home. Another good option, since you do not have to go through the box office in this way. This option is also free.
- Then there is a section called TICKET PROTECTION : This is an optional insurance that you can pay for each ticket you have bought so that they will refund the amount of the tickets if in the end you cannot attend due to an emergency or illness. If you don’t want to pay extra for this, just choose “No, I don’t wish to protect my tickets”.
- You will see that when you have completed all the options and personal details, the large button on the right of the screen where it says COMPLETE YOUR PURCHASE will turn red, and you can click it to finish the purchase. Or, you can hit « Continue Booking » if you want to choose more seats for other musicals or plays and save your data.
- When you click on the complete your purchase button, you simply have to enter your debit or credit card details to make the purchase and click on the CONFIRM BOOKING button to checkout safely.
It is thus possible to easily buy cheap tickets for musicals in London from Spain in advance. Then they simply send you an email with the proof of purchase with all the details of the tickets that you will present at the box office when you go to pick them up. We always use the option to collect tickets at the box office and it works great.
Go to the theater in London without buying tickets in advance
On the other hand, if going to the theater or going to see a musical is something you would like to do but you have not considered buying tickets before, you can always go to the famous Leicester Square, where you will see that there are many points of sale of tickets, and ask.
The performances usually have a Matinee show that starts at 2:30 or 4:00 p.m. and an Evening show that usually starts around 7:30 or 8:00 p.m., so if you walk around this square a little bit before they start, you will see that they make offers of last minute, and sometimes it’s possible to get very cheap tickets – and the theaters are all in this area, so you’ll be there on time no problem!
The only thing is that in this way you cannot guarantee that they will have tickets for the musical you want to see, especially if it is one of the most popular (like the lion king, the phantom of the opera etc) since the tickets for these musicals they tend to sell out several weeks before… To tell you the truth, this system has never worked for us, it is only worth it if you are willing to see one of the lesser-known plays or if you don’t mind paying the same as you would have paid online but for a seat with a reduced view…