Koh Tao has become a fashionable island in Thailand. So if you want to go to this paradisiacal place, in this guide we explain what to see and what to do in Koh Tao to enjoy a few days at the beach.
Would you like to know more about the beaches of Thailand? Don’t miss our Ultimate Guide to Thailand’s Beaches.
Index of contents
- What to see in Koh Tao
- Their beaches
- The Jon Swan Lookout
- Koh Nang Yuan Island
- Things to do in Ko Tao
- Snorkel or dive
- Do a kayak route
- Grab a seafood platter at Sairee Beach
- Go on an excursion to Koh Phangan and enjoy a Full Moon Party
What to see in Koh Tao
Beaches in Koh Tao
Without a doubt, the beaches are the real attraction of Koh Tao and the reason why travelers flock to it year after year. If you feel like lying on the sand and enjoying the sun, swimming or practicing water sports, Koh Tao may be the destination you are looking for.
Here are some of the best beaches waiting for you on Koh Tao Island:
- Sairee Beach: It is one of the largest beaches on Koh Tao and one of the most popular. If you are looking for tranquility and relaxation, it is better to opt for another option. If you are looking for fun this is your beach. There is a lot of atmosphere there, bars, restaurants and hotels.
- Chalok Baan Kao: It is about 7 kilometers from Sairee in the opposite direction. She is calmer than Sairee. It is in a small bay that stands out for its calm atmosphere and its beautiful beaches. There are several accommodations in the area and it has everything you need to spend the whole day in it.
- Freedom Beach: It is a small cove 10 minutes walk from Chalok Baan Kao. This beach is the ideal place to enjoy beautiful sunrises or sunsets. Freedom Beach is a 10-minute walk from Chalok Baan Kao.
- Shark Bay: If you like water sports, Shark Bay is for you. It is a place known by lovers of diving or snorkeling. The beach is freely accessible and there are several trees that provide shade, making it a good option to spend a full day at the beach.
In general, you should know that the beaches located in the east of the island are usually the quietest.
The Jon Swan Lookout
Jon Swan Lookout is next to Shark Bay, one of the most popular spots on Koh Tao. From there there are panoramic views of Koh Tao and also of the nearby islands, such as Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.
If you like photography this place is a must to capture the environment of Koh Tao.
Koh Nang Yuan Island
Koh Nang Yuan is, in fact, a group of islands, linked together by curious sand walkways. Depending on the tide you can go from one island to another on foot. It is a curious image that is worth seeing.
In addition, on these islands you will also find the perfect place to practice water sports such as scuba diving. If you want to rest you can also do it on its white sand and crystal clear water. Koh Nang Yuan has some of the most beautiful beaches in Thailand.
Things to do in Ko Tao
Snorkel or dive
Snorkeling and diving are two star activities on the island of Koh Tao. The biodiversity of its waters make it a perfect place to observe the seabed.
One of the best and most spectacular areas is Shark Bay. There you can see sharks and turtles in their natural habitat. In the bay of this beach you can see the smallest sharks while if you go a little further you can see big sharks. They are sharks accustomed to the presence of people.
To enter the beach you have to pay 100 baht (about €2.6), which will also give you access to WIFI and the toilets. Access to the beach can be a bit difficult, but if you are looking to dive in a unique place it is worth it.
If you would like to practice diving but you have no knowledge there, you can also hire a diving school where they will explain the basics to be able to practice it.
Even so, on Koh Tao there are endless beaches where you can enjoy snorkeling or diving. So if you want to practice water sports on Koh Tao you can do it without problems.
Do a Kayak Route
The landscapes of Koh Tao are spectacular and a good way to enjoy them is on a kayak tour along the coast. We recommend going to Shark Island and then to Chalok. There are several routes that will give you the opportunity to take a different perspective of the island while practicing sports.
Grab a seafood platter at Sairee Beach
When what you want is to have a good meal, Sairee Beach will be one of the best options.
It is an area with a lot of atmosphere and, next to the beach, you can taste a seafood dish with a view. There, as is logical, it is a very fresh product with a great flavor.
Go on an excursion to Koh Phangan and enjoy a Full Moon Party
For lovers of the night and the party, one of the recommended activities is to take a trip to the neighboring island of Koh Phangan to attend a Full Moon Party. The journey takes about an hour and costs 500 baht (about 12 euros).
We recommend spending the night on the island, although keep in mind that during the time of the Full Moon Parties it is usually quite crowded and it is advisable to book in advance.
Would you like to bathe in the waters of Koh Tao? Don’t miss our Thailand itineraries, where you will find routes that include a few days at the beach.