The Best Places To Stay In New York
Are you leaving soon and you still don’t know where to sleep in New York ? Don’t panic: you’ve come to the right place! For many travelers, finding the perfect accommodation for a trip to New York is an important and often quite time-consuming step. It must be said that New York is not known to be a cheap city when it comes to accommodation!
But don’t worry, you will find where to stay in New York thanks to my advice in this article: my tips, my favorite addresses, which neighborhood to choose and what budget to plan for.
Cheap Housing In New York
That’s the question I get asked every time! “ Where to sleep cheap in New York ”. So even if the definition of “cheap” is quite relative in New York, it is possible to find where to stay at the cheapest, for 100 € per night. And I’m talking to you here about a correct double room which is not at the other end of the city (no need to waste 1 hour in transport morning and evening)! Yes, €100 per night is the minimum budget you will have to spend to stay in New York in a double room.
In addition, if you want to be able to benefit from the best prices, you will have to think about when to go to New York , to avoid the high tourist season of the summer school holidays, for example, during which hotel prices can double!
How To Choose Your Hotel In New York?
If you book well in advance, you can find great deals right in Manhattan ! But to do this, you will really have to book well in advance, because there are often few interesting offers left one or two months before departure. I therefore advise you to look for where to sleep in New York and to book your accommodation as soon as you are sure of your travel dates.
The Manhattan district is really TOP for accommodation in New York, since you will be close to all points of interest. However, it is also the most expensive area to sleep in New York. It is not necessarily within the reach of all wallets.
To save money (or to discover another atmosphere), I advise you to favor other districts such as Brooklyn , the Queens district , Chelsea or Greenwich Village . The possibilities are numerous: you just need to find a hotel near a metro station. Don’t forget that New York is a huge city, so choose a well-located hotel so you don’t waste too much time traveling.
But don’t worry: no matter which neighborhood you choose, you can get to Manhattan in 15-20 minutes by subway!
If you want to fully enjoy the atmosphere of the city during your stay and your budget allows it, I recommend that you opt for a hotel in the city center. The Square Hotel , for example, is a very conveniently located hotel in Manhattan. Located right next to Times Square, close to Central Park and the Empire State Building, the establishment will meet your expectations. Double rooms are available from €185 . This hotel could be a very good choice to make the most of your vacation. However, remember to book in advance to benefit from the best price.
My Addresses For Cheap Accommodation
When you go to New York for the first time, you don’t necessarily know the best neighborhoods to find a cheap hotel. Well, it’s simple: to find a room with a good quality/price ratio, you have to move away from the heart of New York!
The further you get from the heart of Manhattan and the city’s top attractions, the lower the hotel rates will start to be. For example, favor the neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens, in which rooms cost an average of $100/night in low season. In addition, the environment is generally rather pleasant!
Find Cheap Accommodation In Brooklyn
If you choose to stay in Brooklyn , you will be ideally placed to discover the famous Brooklyn Bridge in the early morning. You can also easily walk through Brooklyn Bridge Park and stroll through the large Brooklyn Flea Market.
Not to mention that you can spend your evenings in the trendy bars in the area! This area of New York is my favorite after Manhattan to sleep in New York.
- One of my favorite places to stay in Brooklyn is the Pod Brooklyn hotel . The establishment offers chic, simple, very designer and clean rooms and, icing on the cake, it is close to a metro station. Most ? These rooms cost around €145/night in low season.
Where To Sleep In Queens?
Queens is also a nice neighborhood to live in, and it’s even cheaper than Brooklyn. You can take advantage of the neighborhood to visit the Museum of the Moving Image , go to Flushing Meadows Park (this is where the US Open takes place) or even the Mets Stadium (baseball team). It is also in this area that you will find Rockaway Beach !
- In Queens, I suggest a rather nice hotel in which I have already been able to sleep and which I have also recommended to friends who were planning a last minute trip to New York. The LIC Hotel offers rooms at attractive rates: from €105 if you book in advance. You will be 2 minutes from the subway which will take you to Central Park in 20 minutes. It’s a really perfect location to move freely and not waste too much time in transport every day. You can even admire the magnificent view of the Skyline from the hotel’s rooftop!
Are There Any Good Deals For Cheap Sleeping In Manhattan?
Yes ! If you book well in advance, there are indeed a few hotels in Manhattan available from €110 per night in low season (€150 in high season). These are not the most luxurious hotels or even the most design ones, but you will be located in the heart of New York!
- Hotel 31 is one of the best deals for cheap sleep in Manhattan. The rooms are very simple, but you won’t find cheaper in Manhattan. The hotel is clean and inexpensive, especially for New York. It will offer you good value for money in the Manhattan district, with double rooms available from €135 per night . Bonus: you will be a 5-minute walk from the Empire State Building and about 15 minutes from Times Square . It will be perfect for strolling in the evening in the Manhattan district, before walking back to your hotel1.
- You can also find great promotions for the Citadines Connect Fifth Avenue New York from time to time . Located in Midtown Manhattan, this hotel offers truly designer accommodations and is close to several famous New York landmarks. However, prices vary between €100 and €300 per night depending on the period. Once again, check the prices for your dates: it’s the best way to get up-to-date prices!
Where To Sleep In New York With A Big Housing Budget?
You now know that a room in New York costs at least 100-120 € per night. However, if you are ready to increase your accommodation budget, you can choose a hotel close to Manhattan, or even in the heart of the district.
It would also be ideal for a short stay, since it is the district in which there are the most things to see and do: Times Square , Madison Square Garden , Broadway , the Empire State Building , the Rockefeller Center … You will even have the opportunity to go shopping in the superb boutiques of 5th Avenue!
Unless you prefer to go to the residential areas near Central Park , and stay near the biggest museums in the city like the Metropolitan Museum or the Guggenheim , of course!
Above all, with a larger accommodation budget (from $300/night) you can choose a top-of-the-range hotel and live a dream stay! And New York certainly has no shortage of beautiful hotels!
- Le Méridien New York is a 5-star establishment offering spacious rooms and suites. Located in Midtown, in the borough of Manhattan, you can directly reach Central Park about 300 meters away, but also Times Square about 1.3 km away. By staying in this hotel, you can enjoy a panoramic view of the city and Central Park from the rooftop bar. For one night in a room with a king-size bed, expect a minimum of €375 .
- If you want to spend your stay in a 5-star hotel in Midtown Manhattan, the JW Marriott Essex House New York could also seduce you! Located across from Central Park, this luxury hotel offers rooms with custom furnishings. Guests also have access to restaurants, a spa and a 24-hour gym. Some rooms are interior facing, while others have city and park views. For one night count at least 550 € .
- The Plaza Hotel is also located in Manhattan, near Central Park and 5th Avenue. By staying in this establishment, you will have access to luxurious and spacious rooms as well as a modern bathroom. You can also take advantage of restaurants and bars such as the Palm Court, one of the best destinations in New York for an afternoon snack. Count at least 800 € per night.
Alternatives To Hotel Accommodation
If your budget is limited (less than 100 €), know that you are not obliged to rent a hotel room. Many other possibilities are available to you, and are sometimes much more economical!
You can first rent a room with locals. It’s a good solution if you prefer to spend your money on the visits and outings of your choice, and if you think that you will spend the majority of your time outside. On the other hand, if you do not want to share with your host his bathroom and his kitchen, forget this option! The top would still be to rent a furnished apartment. It might even cost you less than a hotel room! This option is also very interesting if you plan to travel with your family.
The reference site for homestays is obviously Airbnb . The platform has a very large number of apartments, but beware: demand is high. Otherwise, you can also go to Abritel or Wimdu (the apartments are kept by professionals) or even Vrbo . New York Habitat is also an agency specializing in apartment rentals.
As for rental prices, you will find apartments at very different prices. Some are available from 110 € per night
Have you thought about booking your activities?
During your stay in New York, you will surely want to do as much activity as possible. Whether it’s visiting museums , climbing to the top of the Empire State Building or going on a cruise to see the Statue of Liberty, things there is no shortage of things to do in this city that never sleeps! However, remember to book your activities in advance to be sure not to miss anything!
Exchange Of Apartments
One way to get almost free accommodation is to lend your apartment or house to strangers. In return, they will lend you their home during your stay. To take advantage of this, register and create your profile on HomeExchange .
This exchange can be done in a reciprocal way: you exchange your residence with New Yorkers who will come to visit France while you are in the USA). You can also accumulate points by lending your house during the year to be able to pay for your future accommodation abroad.
To find an apartment, go to sites like Intervac or HomeLink International .
The Youth Hostels
Most people traveling on a tight budget often opt for hostel accommodation (especially when traveling alone). Indeed, a bed in the dormitory of a hostel costs about 25-30 $/person and per night . However, do not hesitate to compare hostels with each other: prices may vary and so can accommodation conditions. Be careful, prices can quickly climb in high season!
If you are tempted by this adventure, look on Booking.com , or on the reference site on the subject: Hostelworld . You will find beds in dormitories, or even private rooms at a reduced price! For example, you can get a single bed in a mixed dorm at Broadway Hotel & Hostel, starting at €29/night.
On the other hand, if you are a little afraid of the quality of the dormitories, preferably opt for a hostel that is part of the Hostelling International network . Unfortunately, there’s only one in New York. It’s on the Upper West Side . But with 700 beds (it’s the biggest youth hostel in the country, and the 2nd biggest in the world), you’re bound to find a place!
Among the best hostels in New York, you can go to the NY Moore Hostel in the Brooklyn district, which offers beds from €32 in low season and rooms for three people from €101. The Local NYC in Long Island City, Queens is also a very good option since this hostel is very well located. Count around €42 in low season and around €60 in high season.
Bed & Breakfast
For a warmer and more authentic welcome, opt for a room in a Bed & Breakfast . Breakfast will be included and you will be entitled to real exchanges with New Yorkers during your stay . Count between €66 and €156 on average for one night. For example, you can sleep in a period house at the Lefferts Manor Bed & Breakfast in Brooklyn, or at the 255West Guesthouse in Harlem .
Couchsurfing is a new trend that consists of sleeping on the sofa of people who offer it to you . You can find a list of places that offer their couch on the couchsurfing community site, Couchsurfing.com. It’s generally free and it will allow you to (often) make great encounters. Again, note that demand is high and you may not find a couch to sleep on. And again, if you care about your comfort and your privacy, don’t even consider this solution!
Top 5 Tips For Finding A Hotel At The Best Price
- Book your accommodation in advance , up to 6 months before the date of your stay, if you can! New York being a very popular city, the best hotels fill up quickly. So, make your hotel reservation as soon as you know your dates of stay to enjoy the best value for money.
- Stay away from the heart of Manhattan and prefer accommodation in Queens, Brooklyn or Harlem to find affordable accommodations. Be careful, always opt for a place very well served by the metro (preferably 5 or 10 minutes from a station)! Otherwise your stay may be spoiled by the time you will have lost in transport.
- Avoid peak tourist season when prices can double! Thus, avoid the period from April to September, that of Halloween, that of the New York marathon as well as that of the Christmas holidays. Prefer a stay in January, February and March . Also note that prices are much higher on weekends than on weekdays. Therefore, if you have the possibility, go during the off-peak period, even if it is cold at that time in New York. And then, the city under the snow is just magnificent! Without forgetting that you will avoid the endless queues at the entrance to the different attractions of New York.
- Use the Booking platform . This will allow you to quickly compare prices from one neighborhood to another. If you’re lucky, you might even come across a good promotion!
- Do not forget to look at the comments and opinions of hotel guests : often, they let you know which are superb in terms of comfort and service, and which are disappointing or even to be avoided altogether. You will not waste time during your research.